The Ashton School was founded in 1998, inspired by the ideals, methods and techniques of the New Zealand educator Sylvia Ashton.
The school started as a family project with just a house as its facility, fewer than ten teachers and only 35 students in Kindergarten through third grade. In the following years it opened one grade level per year, and in 2003 a Pre-kinder level was opened.
In our third year, the academic building was constructed to hold the elementary grades. The swimming pool and the administrative buildings were added in the same year.
By the sixth year, a second facility had been acquired allowing access via another route and aiding in the flow of people to the institution.
Today the school serves a population of 407 students ranging in grades Pre-Kinder through 12th and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and recognized by the National Ministry of Education of the Dominican Republic (MINERD).
Sylvia Ashton Warner
The name of the school is given in honor of a great teacher from New Zealand, Sylvia Ashton, who dedicated part of her life to educate children, teaching them English as a second language, while respecting and maintaining their customs and cultural identities.
Sylvia Ashton Warner was born in 1908, in Stratford, New Zealand, to a family of nine children. Her childhood was marked by extreme material deprivation and interrupted schooling.
In 1926 when Silvia Ashton turned 18 she became a pupil teacher at Wellington South School in Wellington, New Zealand. In February 1928 she entered the “Auckland Teacher’s Training College”. Sylvia Ashton married Keith Henderson in Wellington on Tuesday, August 23, 1931 and gave birth to three children.
She worked with her husband in various schools, and centered her entire life on education and teaching English as a second language. Among her greatest virtues is the recognition of each person’s special meaning which was one of the primary reasons for her joy and sense of responsibility when educating children.